The University of Cambridge is an exempt charity subject to regulation by the Office for Students (OfS) under the Charities Act 2011.
The University is a common law corporation, being a corporation by prescription consisting of a Chancellor, Masters, and Scholars who from time out of mind have had the government of their members and enjoyed the privileges of such a corporation. By Act of Parliament 13 Elizabeth Cap. 29 passed in the year 1571 the incorporation of the University and all privileges then held under charter or by prescription were duly confirmed.
The corporate title of the University is The Chancellor, Masters, and Scholars of the University of Cambridge but it is more commonly referred to as the University of Cambridge.
The correspondence address is: University of Cambridge, The Old Schools, Trinity Lane, Cambridge CB2 1TS.
The University's main constitutional documents are its Statutes and Ordinances.
You can also view the Reports and Financial Statements for the year ended 31 July 2019 and previous years.
The members of the University's Council, the principal executive and policy-making body of the University, are the charity trustees of the University. The current membership of the Council is:
Professor Stephen J Toope
Members elected by the Regent House
Heads of Colleges in the University:
- Dr Anthony Freeling, President of Hughes Hall
- Professor Christopher Kelly, Master of Corpus Christi College, Professor of Classics and Ancient History
- The Reverend Dr Jeremy Morris, Master of Trinity Hall
- Professor Dame Madeleine Atkins, President of Lucy Cavendish College
Professors and Readers in the University
- Professor Nick Gay, Professor of Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, Fellow of Christ’s College
- Professor Fiona Karet, Professor of Nephrology, Fellow of Darwin College
- Professor Richard Penty, Professor of Photonics, Master of Sidney Sussex College
- Dr Jason Scott-Warren, Reader in Early Modern Literature and Culture, Faculty of English, Fellow of Gonville and Caius College
Members of the Regent House
- Dr Ruth Charles, Head of User Administration, University Information Services, Fellow of Newnham College
- Dr Stephen Cowley, University Senior Lecturer in Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, Fellow of Emmanuel College
- Dr Jennifer Hirst, Principal Research Associate, Cambridge Institute for Medical Research, Fellow of Jesus College
- Dr Nicholas Holmes, University Senior Lecturer in Immunology
- Dr Andrew Sanchez, University Lecturer in Social Anthropology, Fellow of Trinity Hall
- Dr Mark Wormald, College Lecturer in English, Secretary of the Senior Tutors’ Committee, Fellow of Pembroke College
- Ms Jocelyn Wyburd, Director of the Language Centre, Fellow of Clare College
External members appointed by Grace of the Regent House
- Ms Sharon Flood
- Mr Mark Lewisohn (Deputy Chair of the Council)
- Professor Sir David Greenaway (Chair of the Audit Committee)
- Ms Sara Weller CBE
Student members selected by students in the University
Elected by all students:
- Mr Edward Parker Humphreys (President of the Cambridge University Students’ Union)
- Ms Poppy Cockburn
Elected by graduate students:
- Mr Alessandro Ceccarelli (President of the Graduate Union)