The University of Cambridge is an exempt charity subject to regulation by the Office for Students (OfS) under the Charities Act 2011.
The University is a common law corporation, being a corporation by prescription consisting of a Chancellor, Masters, and Scholars who from time out of mind have had the government of their members and enjoyed the privileges of such a corporation. By Act of Parliament 13 Elizabeth Cap. 29 passed in the year 1571 the incorporation of the University and all privileges then held under charter or by prescription were duly confirmed.
The corporate title of the University is The Chancellor, Masters, and Scholars of the University of Cambridge but it is more commonly referred to as the University of Cambridge.
The correspondence address is: University of Cambridge, The Old Schools, Trinity Lane, Cambridge CB2 1TN.
The University's main constitutional documents are its Statutes and Ordinances.
You can view our Reports and Financial Statements for the year ended 31 July 2021 (PDF) and previous years.
Members of the University's Council
The members of the University's Council, the principal executive and policy-making body of the University, are the charity trustees of the University. The membership of the Council as of 7 December 2021 is:
Professor Stephen J Toope
Members elected by the Regent House
Heads of Colleges in the University:
- Professor Dame Madeleine Atkins, President of Lucy Cavendish College
- Dr Anthony Freeling, President of Hughes Hall
- Professor Christopher Kelly, Master of Corpus Christi College, Professor of Classics and Ancient History
- Professor Pippa Rogerson, Master of Gonville & Caius College
Professors and Readers in the University:
- Professor Anthony Davenport, Professor of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, Fellow of St Catharine’s College
- Professor Maria Manuel Lisboa, Professor of Portuguese Literature and Culture, Fellow of St John’s College
- Professor Richard Penty, Professor of Photonics, Master of Sidney Sussex College
- Professor Jason Scott-Warren, Reader in Early Modern Literature and Culture, Faculty of English, Fellow of Gonville & Caius College
Members of the Regent House:
- Dr Zoe Adams, Assistant Admissions Tutor and Fellow of King’s College, Affiliated Lecturer in Law
- Dr Ruth Charles, Head of User Administration, University Information Services, Fellow of Newnham College
- Dr Nicholas Holmes, University Senior Lecturer in Immunology
- Dr Ann Kaminski, Head of Scientific Administration in the Cancer Research UK Cambridge Institute, Fellow of St Edmund’s College
- Dr Andrew Sanchez, University Lecturer in Social Anthropology
- Dr Michael Sewell, Senior Tutor and Fellow of Selwyn College
- Dr Pieter van Houten, Senior Lecturer in the Department of Politics and International Studies, Director of Studies and Fellow of Churchill College
External members appointed by Grace of the Regent House:
- Ms Gaenor Bagley
- Ms Sharon Flood
- Professor Sir David Greenaway (Chair of the Audit Committee)
- Mr Mark Lewisohn (Deputy Chair of the Council)
Student members elected by students of the University:
- Ms Anjum Nahar, President (Postgraduate) of the University of Cambridge Students’ Union
- Mr Zakary Coleman, President (Undergraduate) of the University of Cambridge Students’ Union
- Mr Freddie Poser