You should set up initial face-to-face meeting to clarify:
- details of the role;
- the degree of freedom for pursuing the research objectives;
- any confidentiality and/or intellectual property constraints, including any constraints on access to ownership, control, sharing and re-use of research data. (Many complaints and disputes which arise could have been pre-empted by clarifying expectations regarding access and re-use of data as early as possible in a researcher's contract);
- expectations about output and progress;
- publication protocols;
- teaching opportunities and/or obligations;
- the researcher's own career aspirations and skills development priorities.
You should ensure that researcher has opportunities to discuss any of the following that are relevant to his/her research work:
- lab procedures and practices;
- health and safety;
- ethical standards and other aspects of academic integrity in research.
You should ensure that researcher is involved in regular research project meetings throughout the research contract.