This section contains information for undergraduate students. For more general information for students, please visit the guidance for all students section.​

Update 15 April 2021: Easter Term

Current government guidance is that in-person teaching will not change before 17 May at the earliest, and that this date will be subject to review. The University's policy on the return of students remains unchanged, as set out in the Vice-Chancellor's 9 April message to staff and students

Teaching will remain online for the majority of courses. Those courses resuming in-person teaching are listed on the student guidance page. Research students are permitted to access specialist facilities if necessary for their work.


Year Abroad students

Year abroad students should continue to liaise with the Year Abroad co-ordinator in your Faculty or Department and your Director of Studies in your College to discuss your situation taking into consideration the latest Foreign and Commonwealth Office guidance and any relevant international travel restrictions. Plans for year abroad activity will need to be approved in advance of travel in the usual way. 


HML/MML Year Abroad students

HML and MML year abroad students should refer to the MML coronavirus information pages for more detailed guidance.


International undergraduate students

Last updated 8 January 2021

Travelling to the UK from abroad

Students who are currently overseas must consider the information in relation to arrangements for Lent Term prior to travelling to the UK. Where it is appropriate to travel, read the information for students who are arriving in the UK from abroad


Tier 4/Student visa holders

The Home Office recognises the exceptional circumstances of the current situation and the University will continue to sponsor a current student’s Tier 4/Student visa while continuing studies remotely. This is the case whether you are currently in the UK or overseas.

New students who are commencing their course in 2020/21 but starting studies remotely from outside the UK should contact the International Student Office for guidance on the appropriate time to make their student visa application or to apply for a replacement vignette if their visa has already been granted. 


Making your student visa application from outside the UK

Most UK Visa Application Centres across the world have resumed services for student visa entry clearance applications but appointment availability may be more limited in some locations.


Making your student application from inside the UK

If you are eligible to make your student visa application from inside the UK, pre-existing biometrics are currently being used where possible. If UKVI can reuse your biometrics you will be emailed after you make your application with instructions on how to send them an image of your face and your supporting documents via an app. If pre-existing biometrics cannot be reused, you will be invited to book an appointment to provide biometric information, but you may find availability is currently more limited.

If you make an in-time application and are waiting for a decision, you can start your course at Cambridge whilst this is pending. You will need to provide your College with evidence you have submitted an application within the relevant timeframe. UKVI advises that if your application is eventually rejected as invalid or refused you must stop your course or studies.


EU Settlement Scheme

In December 2020 the Home Office published guidance on applications for the EU Settlement Scheme and the impact of the coronavirus outbreak. This includes the following information for students in relation to absences from the UK and the 5 year continuous residency requirement for settled status under the scheme: 

If you are a student who was studying in the UK and are studying outside the UK because of coronavirus, that absence will not cause you to break your continuous qualifying period, where it is for a single period of more than 6 months but not more than 12 months, during your 5-year continuous qualifying period. 

The EUSS allows for a single absence up to 12 months for an important reason, including serious illness and study. 

An absence or absences of more than 6 months but not more than 12 months in total in any 5-year continuous qualifying period where coronavirus was not a factor will still interrupt that continuous qualifying period unless there was another important reason for the absence.

If you have not already applied for a status under the EU Settlement Scheme, it is possible to apply from overseas on the basis of being 'continuously resident' in the UK. This means you have not been outside the UK for more than 6 months, or more than 12 months for an 'important reason'. It has been confirmed that an 'important reason' can include studying outside the UK because of COVID-19. 

Further information on the EU Settlement Scheme is outlined on the International Students webpages.


Further guidance

For further guidance on student immigration matters, please contact the International Student Office.