This section contains information about current and recent travel, planning future travel, and travel insurance.

Update 26 February 2021: rest of Lent term, Easter vacation and Easter term

The government has recently updated its guidance for universities on the return of students and in-person teaching. There is no major change to the University’s provision of teaching and learning for the rest of Lent term or the Easter vacation. For full details see this update from the University and the Colleges on Lent term, Easter vacation and Easter term 2021.

In summary: teaching will remain online for the majority of courses (with a few exceptions) and those courses, such as clinical medicine, that are already teaching in-person will continue to do so. As per current rules, research students are permitted to access specialist facilities if necessary for their work. 

Most students should remain where they are – whether at home or in Cambridge – and should not travel unless for one of the permitted exceptional reasons

We hope to welcome back as many students as possible in Easter Term 2021, but this depends on what is allowed by the government. We will provide more information as soon as we can.



Information for international students 

Please see information for international students for guidance for those travelling to Cambridge from overseas.


Stay-at-home guidance for those returning to the UK from overseas

If you have recently returned from overseas you should:


If you are abroad and cannot travel back to the UK due to the coronavirus outbreak

You should:

  • Check the FCO website for the latest advice for the area you are in
  • Contact your Department immediately to tell them of your situation
  • Consider registering with any local consulates or embassies, who will be able to advise on any updates and evacuation plans for respective nationals

If you had booked travel insurance on the University’s Business Travel Insurance policy before the FCO travel ban, the policy continues to provide cover for medical expenses. You should log into the Chubb portal and extend your cover as required. If you are unsure of the end date you require, please use 30 September 2020.

Please note the University’s Business Travel Insurance policy with Chubb only applies to employees and graduate students; undergraduate year abroad trips are not covered under this policy. Any declared trip through Chubb will not be covered as they do not cover undergraduate students.

If you are entitled to free healthcare in your current location, you must use the facilities provided before using the University’s insurance policy.

For more information see the travel insurance advice below.


Travel advice for those planning on travelling overseas

Staff and students planning to travel on University-related business

Trips must be authorised and risk assessed as per the usual procedure. Please see Guidance on Managing Risks from Travel, Fieldwork and Work Away for further information.

You should familiarise yourself with:

  • The FCO travel advice
  • Country-specific official advice from local government authorities and the nearest relevant embassy or diplomatic mission

For travel insurance advice, please see the travel insurance section below.


Travel insurance

If you are planning to travel, check the travel insurance webpages for information on insurance, coronavirus and Brexit.