This section contains information for postgraduate students. Information for all students is available in the guidance for all students section.

Next academic year

In the light of changing government guidance on social distancing, the University is making preparations for the academic year 2021-22. Cambridge’s college system is very effective at providing small group teaching, and offering strong communities where students can live and work. The Senior Pro-Vice-Chancellor wrote to students on 24 June 2021 with information on our plans for the academic year 2021-22. We anticipate giving more information by the end of July.

Jump to:

Postgraduate research students

International postgraduate students (last updated 8 January 2021)


Postgraduate research students

Guidance for postgraduate research students regarding their location

Postgraduate research students who are already in Cambridge

Students who have remained in Cambridge or have already returned to Cambridge need take no further action.

Postgraduate research students who are not already in Cambridge

Postgraduate research students who are able to work from their out-of-term address should do so, save:

  1. If they require access to specialist facilities for their research; or
  2. If they are abroad and have already made plans to return to Cambridge which cannot reasonably be altered; or
  3. If they consider Cambridge to be their primary place of residence.

Students who are not currently in Cambridge and who meet any of the above criteria and plan to return to Cambridge should notify their Faculty or Department of their intended date of return. Any such students in College accommodation which they regard as home should contact their College to discuss arrangements for returning into residence.  Students in private accommodation which they regard as home should notify the College of their intended date of return.

Information on COVID-19 testing

Postgraduate research students who do not plan to return to Cambridge

Postgraduate research students who are not currently in Cambridge and who do not plan to return should notify their Supervisor, Department and College (by email), copying in Students will not be required to apply to work away from Cambridge (via their CamSIS self-service) but should include details of their location. 

Students whose plans change should notify their Supervisor, Department and College (by email) copying in

Extensions and Intermission

The University continues to recognise the impact of the pandemic on students’ ability to work on their research, regardless of their location. Students who, because of the pandemic, will need additional time can apply for an extension to their submission deadline. Students who are unable to do any work on their studies should apply for a period of intermission until they are able to resume study.


Postgraduate research students needing to self-isolate: guidance on annual holiday entitlement

PGR students who travel abroad may, depending on their circumstances, need to self-isolate on their return to Cambridge. Students in this position are not required to take the period of self-isolation as part of their annual holiday entitlement. PGR students who are required to self-isolate should use this time to work on their research and if this is not possible should investigate other activities related to their research, such as the courses offered by the University’s Researcher Development Team


Maintenance stipends

University-managed funds

Students who receive a maintenance stipend from funds managed within the collegiate University (including Cambridge Trust, Gates Cambridge, Harding, Departments and Colleges and UKRI DTPs and CDTs) and who need an extension of funding should contact their funder in the first instance.

Information about applying for a funded extension from Cambridge funders is listed below:

  • Cambridge Trust: The Cambridge Trust will consider applications for extended funding on a case-by-case basis in the term before the end of the current funding period. The Cambridge Trust provide a form and guidance on their website.
  • Gates Cambridge: Gates Cambridge will consider applications for extended funding on a case-by-case basis. Information for their scholars is available online.
  • University Trust funds: The University Trust funds managed by the Student Funding team (SSC) will align with UKRI policy and will consider applications on a case by case basis.
  • Department/Faculty funding: contact your Department to enquire about the possibility of applying for a funding extension
  • College funding: contact your College to enquire about the possibility of applying for a funding extension
  • Other funding: contact the administrator or Managers of your funding to enquire about the possibility of applying for a funding extension

External funders

Students will need to make contact with their own funder to enquire about the possibility of funded extensions.

Some funders also provide financial support for other incidental costs – students should contact their funding body for more details.


Financial hardship

If you are in financial hardship, please see the general student page for information on the help available, including the Postgraduate Hardship Fund. Students should approach their funder in the first instance, where appropriate, to request additional funding and will need to show that they have done this before applying for University hardship funds, for which self-funded students are normally prioritised.


Students on fieldwork

If you are planning fieldwork within the UK you should continue to follow the UK Government advice. If you are planning fieldwork outside the UK you should refer to the advice for staff and students planning to travel on University business and should only apply to work away if you meet the criteria listed on these pages. The travel pages will be updated as and when UK government guidance changes. 

Guidance on applying to work away to undertake fieldwork can be found at

If you are planning fieldwork it is likely that you will need to change your plans and you should discuss with your supervisor what alternative arrangements can be put in place.


If you are coming to the end of your fieldwork, you  should refer to the guidance for Lent and Easter Term and only return to Cambridge if you meet the criteria for doing so. If you do not meet this criteria you should return to your home address.

You need to inform us by emailing if:

  • You need to extend your period of fieldwork
  • You are unable to continue with your fieldwork
  • Travel restrictions prevent you from leaving your fieldwork location

Travel insurance

If you need to stay in your fieldwork location you should sign into the Chubb portal using the link in your original travel insurance cover confirmation and extend your cover. Do not make a new application as this will be invalid.

Further guidance on travel insurance >


Extensions to submission deadlines

If your work or progress has been impacted by COVID-19 you can apply for an extension of your submission deadline. Guidance on how to do this can be found on the Cambridge Students website.


Submitting your thesis

Softbound thesis

Softbound theses are now submitted electronically to Degree Committees. Contact your Degree Committee for guidance on how to submit.

Once you have submitted your softbound thesis, your Degree Committee may arrange for your viva voce examination to be held via video conference. 

Hardbound and e-thesis

The Student Services Centre will not be open to receive theses. 

We have arranged with JS Wilson Bookbinders that they will store any hardbound theses bound by them until such time as the Student Services Centre re-opens. JS Wilson will let us know when your thesis has been bound and we will take that date as the date of submission of your hardbound thesis.

Contact JS Wilson >

If you do not use JS Wilson you may need to apply for an extension for the submission of your hardbound thesis. You can do this by emailing

You should submit your e-thesis unless informed otherwise by the Student Registry.


Degree approval

Degree Committees will continue to meet remotely to consider the approval of degrees and other individual student matters.


Further guidance

If you need further advice or guidance please contact the Student Registry.

You can also contact your Supervisor, Course Director or Graduate Tutor as appropriate. 


International postgraduate students

Last updated 16 July 2021

Travelling to the UK from abroad

Students are advised to consult the information on travelling to the UK on our International Students webpages before making travel plans.

Tier 4/Student visa holders

The Home Office recognises the exceptional circumstances of the current situation and the University will continue to sponsor a current student’s Tier 4/Student visa where remote study has been approved.

In accordance with Home Office policy, the University can exceptionally continue visa sponsorship for a period of intermission of up to four months during a student’s course of study. Students who are unable to continue their studies at this time owing the pandemic are advised to contact the International Student Office for further visa guidance about their particular circumstances.


Making your student visa application from outside the UK

Most UK Visa Application Centres across the world have resumed services for student visa entry clearance applications but appointment availability may be more limited in some locations.


Making your student application from inside the UK

If you are eligible to make your student visa application from inside the UK, pre-existing biometrics are currently being used where possible. If UKVI can reuse your biometrics you will be emailed after you make your application with instructions on how to send them an image of your face and your supporting documents via an app. If pre-existing biometrics cannot be reused, you will be invited to book an appointment to provide biometric information, but you may find availability is currently more limited.

If you make an in-time application and are waiting for a decision, you can start your course at Cambridge whilst this is pending. You will need to provide your College with evidence you have submitted an application within the relevant timeframe. UKVI advises that if your application is eventually rejected as invalid or refused you must stop your course or studies.


Further guidance

For further guidance on student immigration matters, please contact the International Student Office.