In response to COVID-19, the University changed its modes of teaching and assessment for the Easter Term 2020. It was agreed that for those students whose summative assessment is disrupted in the Easter term, a further opportunity to sit the assessment will be available.
Second Assessment Period
The second assessment period will run for three weeks from 7 – 25 September 2020 for all eligible candidates (with one exception noted below). A detailed timetable will be issued in August, but students who need to take assessments in this second period should plan for assessments within this three-week window.
The only exception is candidates for the Mathematical Tripos, Part II for whom the assessment period will be the end of August. Their second assessment period is being held earlier to allow a break between the second assessment period and the in person exams (see below).
A second assessment period is available:
- for all students undertaking summative assessment in the Easter term 2020; and
- where that summative assessment was under timed conditions of 24 hours or less; and
- where for good reason, the student was not able to undertake some or all of their assessments in the first assessment period.
Where a student was only able to take some of their assessments in the Easter term, those marks will be carried over to the second assessment period and will be considered as a whole by the Examiners after that second assessment period.
The second assessment period is available for candidates for Tripos examinations as well as candidates for the Master of Philosophy who undertook timed assessments.
It is not available to the following students:
- Students who undertook formative assessments in the Easter term 2020.
- Students who undertook summative assessments in the Easter term 2020, but would like to re-take the assessment to improve their result.
- Students whose summative assessment was coursework or under timed conditions longer than 24 hours.
Some subjects agreed that students could return to Cambridge and sit in person examinations, which may change their overall result. These examinations are only available to those students who passed the assessments in the first or second period assessments (where available) in the Easter term 2020. Students are not required to return to take these exams, however it is the only way to change an overall result.
These in person examinations are available in the following subjects:
- Engineering Tripos, Part IIB (no second period assessment)
- Mathematical Tripos, Part II
- Mathematical Tripos, Part III
- Natural Sciences Tripos, Part III: Astrophysics
- Master of Advanced Study degree in Mathematics
- Master of Advanced Study degree in Astrophysics
Timing of in person exams
|Mathematical Tripos, Part II||
It is the University’s intention to run these examinations in September 2020, subject to PHE guidelines. A detailed timetable will be built and published in August 2020.
Mathematical Tripos, Part III
Natural Sciences Tripos, Part III: Astrophysics
Master of Advanced Study degree in MathematicsMaster of Advanced Study degree in Astrophysics
|The dates are under consideration. The Faculty will consult the student body once the Easter term assessments have concluded.|
|Engineering Tripos, Part IIB||
The dates are under consideration. The earliest date will be the Christmas vacation 2020.