This section contains archival information relating to postgraduate students in the academic 2019-20.

On this page:

Postgraduate taught students

Postgraduate research students


Postgraduate taught students

Teaching and assessment

There will be no face-to-face teaching in Cambridge in the Easter Term. All teaching will move online. During this time you will have access to the same teaching that you would have been provided in Cambridge, but remotely. 

No additional teaching will be provided outside of this normal teaching period. This remains the case even if you take your assessments in the second assessment period outside of Easter Term.

The alternative assessments will not require additional supervision or teaching, although your Faculty or Department may offer additional planned supervisions or teaching if they wish. 

The assessment page has all the information on the alternative assessment arrangements, including specific guidance for postgraduate taught students.


We understand that your progress may have been impeded by the coronavirus and closure of University buildings and that you may need more time to work on your dissertation.

If you need an extension you should contact your Department in the first instance. You may be asked to submit an extension request through your CamSIS self-service.

Please remember that your College Graduate Tutor can be a useful source of advice and support on this, to complement or clarify advice from your Supervisor.

Degree approval

Degree Committees and the Board of Graduate Studies will meet remotely over the coming months to consider the approval of degrees and other individual student matters.

Further guidance

If you need further advice or guidance please contact the Student Registry.

You can also contact your Supervisor, Course Director or Graduate Tutor as appropriate. 

Postgraduate research students

The University recognises that the closure of University buildings may have a severe impact on your ability to continue with your research.

You should discuss with your Supervisor what work you can do during this time. This may include background reading, online language learning or drafting chapters. 

Your College Graduate Tutor can also be a useful source of advice and support during this time.

Options for continuing research

If you are able to work on your research and have left Cambridge

If you are no longer in Cambridge but still working on your research, you need to apply to work away from Cambridge. This is the case even if you are unable to work at your normal rate or carry out your normal research activities. We are asking you to do this so we are aware of your location as you will continue to be a registered student.

You do not need to have applied before you left Cambridge and you do not need to provide a risk assessment with your application.

Further information on applying to work away >

If you are able to work on your research and have remained in Cambridge

If you have remained in Cambridge and are able to undertake any work on your research (including background reading, drafting of chapters or similar activities) you do not need to take any action. 

If you are unable to work on your research from home

If you are unable to undertake any work on your research from home, you should consider applying for non-medical intermission. This will ensure that you do not lose the time that you cannot spend on your project. You should discuss this with your Supervisor before making an application.

Please be aware that this may have implications for your funding and for your visa if you are a Tier 4 student. You should seek advice from your funding body and the International Student Office before making an application.

Further information on non-medical intermission >

If you have been given permission to return to Cambridge to continue your research 

As the lockdown is eased, some postgraduate research students have been given permission to return to Cambridge to continue with their research from June 2020 onwards. 

If this applies to you, you need to follow the advice from your Department or place of research. For further guidance you should read the University's protocol for the return of postgraduate research students to conduct research on University premises.

If you are intending to take up College accommodation or to use College facilities in the coming months, you need to read the guidance for returning to College.

Extending your submission date

We understand that your progress may have been impeded by the coronavirus and that you may need more time to work on your research and prepare your thesis for submission. 

If you need additional time, you can apply to extend your submission date. 

For doctoral students, we recommend you apply around six months before your submission deadline when you will have a clear idea of the amount of additional time needed.

Before you submit your application to extend your submission date you need to:

  • Discuss the situation with your Supervisor
  • Ask you funding body whether it is possible to extend your period of funding