Telescope icon
Information for postgraduate students on fieldwork

If you are planning fieldwork outside the UK you should refer to the advice for staff and students planning to travel on University business and should only apply to work away if you meet the criteria listed on these pages.

Guidance on applying to work away to undertake fieldwork can be found at

You need to inform us by emailing if:

  • You need to extend your period of fieldwork
  • You are unable to continue with your fieldwork
  • Travel restrictions prevent you from leaving your fieldwork location

Travel insurance

If you need to stay in your fieldwork location you should sign into the Chubb portal using the link in your original travel insurance cover confirmation and extend your cover. Do not make a new application as this will be invalid.

Further guidance on travel insurance >