University testing pods icon


See here for COVID-19 testing arrangements for Michaelmas Term 2021


You should take a PCR test in the following circumstances:

1. You have symptoms of COVID-19 (see below).

2. You have received a positive result on a lateral flow test 

3. You are a contact of someone with confirmed COVID-19. In this instance a contact means a household contact or a contact either "pinged" by the NHS mobile app or advised to get a test by helpdesk or NHS Test and Trace

If any of the above applies to you, please see our information on what you need to do and how to book a test. 

Major symptoms of COVID-19

1. High temperature – this means a feeling of feverishness, or a measured temperature above 37.8° C

2. New cough – this means a new intermittent or persistent cough, or worsening of your usual cough (if you have one)

3. A loss or change in your sense of taste or smell, particularly in the absence of nasal congestion

You can book a test via the NHS or the University.

Minor symptoms the University also tests:

5. Headache

6. Sore throat

7. Runny nose

8. Muscle aches

9. New hoarseness

10. New shortness of breath

11. A new wheeze

If you meet one or more of criteria 5-11, you do not need to self-isolate, but can request a test at one of the dedicated University testing pods

Who can take a University test?

The University offers swab tests to students, University and College staff, certain defined affiliates, and individuals who live in a household with University or College staff or students, but who are not themselves staff or students. This enhanced testing is subject to capacity, and will be available for as long as we are able to deliver it.

Information for students about taking a test

Information for staff about taking a test

Further information

Find out about: