The University as a charity
The University of Cambridge is an exempt charity subject to regulation by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) under the Charities Act 2006.
The University is a common law corporation, being a corporation by prescription consisting of a Chancellor, Masters, and Scholars who from time out of mind have had the government of their members and enjoyed the privileges of such a corporation. By Act of Parliament 13 Elizabeth Cap. 29 passed in the year 1571 the incorporation of the University and all privileges then held under charter or by prescription were duly confirmed.
The corporate title of the University is The Chancellor, Masters, and Scholars of the University of Cambridge but is more commonly referred to as the University of Cambridge.
The correspondence address is: University of Cambridge, The Old Schools, Trinity Lane, Cambridge CB2 1TS.
The University's main constitutional documents are its Statutes and Ordinances.
You can also view the Reports and financial statements for the year ended 31 July 2015 and for previous years
The members of the University's Council, the principal executive and policy-making body of the University, are the charity trustees of the University. The current membership of the Council is:
Professor Sir Leszek Borysiewicz, Professor of Medicine, Fellow of Wolfson College
Members elected by the Regent House
Heads of Colleges in the University:
- Mr Stuart Laing, Master of Corpus Christi College
- Professor Susan Smith, Mistress of Girton College, Honorary Professor of Social and Economic Geography
- Professor Michael Proctor, Provost of King’s College, Professor of Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics
- Professor Ian White, Master of Jesus College, Van Eck Professor of Engineering
Professors and Readers in the University
- Professor Ross Anderson, Professor of Security Engineering, Fellow of Churchill College
- Professor Anne Davis, Professor of Mathematical Physics, Fellow of King’s College
- Professor Fiona Karet, Professor of Nephrology, Fellow of Darwin College
- Dr Susan Oosthuizen, Reader in Medieval Archaeology, Fellow of Wolfson College
Members of the Regent House
- Dr Richard Anthony, Bursar and Development Director of St Edmund’s College
- The Reverend Jeremy Caddick, Dean and Fellow of Emmanuel College
- Dr Ruth Charles, User Policy and Account Manager, University Information Services, Fellow of Newnham College.
- Dr Margaret Glendenning, University Fire Safety Compliance Officer, Estate Management
- Dr David Good, Lecturer in Social and Developmental Psychology, Fellow of King's College
- Dr Nicholas Holmes, University Senior Lecturer in Pathology
- Dr Alice Hutchings, Research Associate, Computer Laboratory
- Dr Rachael Padman, Lecturer in Physics, Fellow of Newnham College
External members appointed by Grace of the Regent House
- Mr Mark Lewisohn,(Chair of the Audit Committee of the Council),
- Professor Dame Shirley Pearce DBE
- Mr John Shakeshaft (Deputy Chair of the Council)
- Ms Sara Weller CBE
Student members selected by students in the University
Elected by all students:
- Mr Cornelius Roemer
- Ms Priscilla Mensah (President of the Cambridge University Students Union)
Elected by graduate students:
- Mr Chad Allen (President of the Graduate Union)
A list of other charity trusteeships held by the University’s trustees is provided here